Pack 64 Pinewood Rules
Pack 64 – Official Pinewood Derby Race Rules
**Note** Rules may vary from Pack to Pack. This is pack 64’s only.
ALL CARS MUST PASS INSPECTION TO QUALIFY FOR THE RACE
Following are the inspection points and rules.
Use the Scout Derby Kit from Scout Store.
1. The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scales, which are the electronic scales owned by Pack 64 shall be considered final.
2. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches and must use stock wheelbase.
3. The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
4. The car must have 1 3/4” clearance between the wheels.
5. The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body. Do not put weights on the bottom of the car, or it will not have the required clearance.
6. The block of wood provided in the “Boy Scout Kit” kit must be used. The block of wood may be shaped in any way that is desired. Be Creative!
7. The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may remove the seam from the wheels.
8. The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished and dry lubricated.
9. Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
10. The car must not ride on any type of springs.
11. The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
12. No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
13. You may not use a car built to race in a previous year’s race. The car must be a newly built car for the current race season.
14. Any car that is determined to have not been built by the scout must race in the open division. The decision is final and at the discretion of the race MC (Master of Ceremonies), race organizer, or race committee.
15. Dry lubrication of the wheels may only be done prior to the start of the race. No lubricating of wheels will be allowed between races. Anyone caught lubricating wheels between races will be disqualified. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
16. Repairs to broken or lost wheels will be allowed at the discretion of the race MC, race organizer, or race committee. No re-lubricating will be allowed upon repair.
17. Replacement of broken or lost weights belonging to a car will be at the discretion of the race MC, race organizer, or race committee. The car must be re-weighed.
18. All cars must be weighed-in and then kept at impound. After the car is officially weighed it is turned in at the weigh station and stored there until race day.
Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee or race organizer before it will be allowed to compete. The inspection committee or race organizer has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications. Any car that does not conform to the above inspection points or rules or is disqualified will be allowed to race in the OPEN division, but is not eligible to compete for prizes within any other class or group of cars. Cars disqualified for lubricating or tinkering after the race has started will not be allowed to compete in any division and will be eliminated from all races. The rules have been provided to keep our races fair and competitive. Don’t let them get in the way of your children having FUN! Parents, siblings, adults, and leaders are welcome and encouraged to race their own cars in the open division.
Parents, please let the children do as much o the building of the car as they can SAFELY do.
REMEMBER: IT IS THEIR CAR AND THEIR RACE!